The album contains an eclectic mix of tunes from Cape Breton to Scotland and Brittany to the Balkans, with ‘class’ stamped all over it. The musical meeting of Tony McManus and Alain Genty grew from a project in 1996 when they were part of the rhythm section of a twelve-piece ensemble. The duo’s shared passion for the traditional music of Brittany initially brought them together and continues here, propelling their exploration of music of various Celtic lands and beyond. Singing Sands reflects the natural harmony of the acoustic guitar and fretless bass – ingenuity and powerful rhythms at their best.
The album was recorded at Studio Rien A Voir, Paris, and mixed by Alain Genty at Studio Ternaux, Paris. The Singing Sands is the name of a beach in The Bruce Peninsula Park, Ontario, Canada, where the front cover photo was taken.
Originally released on Compass 2005
1. Dr Stan Chapman’s Jig / The Islay Ranter’s Reel / Whissahickon Drive
2. Desert Dance *
3. The Hungry Rock *
4. Marche / Phoenix / Taimse im Chodladh
5. Pamela Rose Grant / The Ewie Wi’ the Crooked Horn / The Scolding Wives of Abertaff
6. The Dusty Miller / The Silver Slipper / Willie’s Fling No. 2
7. The Last Dance
8. Da Day Dawn / Christmas Day In The Morning
9. Le Petit Encrier
10. Ton Ma Var / Melen Aour